We don’t think we’re alone in saying our kids’ favourite food is pizza. Sure they love tucking into local Singaporean dishes and hitting up fish and chips at kid-friendly restaurants about town, but ask them what one food they’d take with them to a desert island we know the response. PIZZA! But not just any pizza, mind you, we’re talking authentic Italian thin-crust pizza with delectable toppings (we’ve taught them well). Here’s our list of kid indestructible fail-safe pizza joints we have on permanent rotation.
1. British export Pizza Express is a fantastico place to get your pizza fix with its Piccolo kids’ menu ($12 for pizza/pasta, drink and dessert). The colouring pencils and activity sheets distract little hands in the four minutes it takes to cook the pizzas to perfection. And did we mention the dough balls? Scotts Square, Unit B1 08/09, 6 Scotts Road, Singapore, 228209; www.pizzaexpress.sg
2. Expect friendly service, lush green views and delightfully light thin crust pizzas at al fresco family resto Picotin Express. Run off some energy pre-feast with a hit of mini putt put next door. Green Fairways Golf Course And Driving Range, 60 Fairways Drive, Singapore 286966; www.picotin.com.sg
3. Transport yourself to a Tuscan trattoria at hidden gem Cibo Italiano Singapore. What do we adore about this place? The three A’s: antipasti, affordability and authenticity keep us coming back time and again (and the fancy frozen take home pasta is delish). It’s an intimate space and most tables are outdoors so expect to dine al fresco. Full disclosure: we’d skip this one with rowdy toddlers as the seating isn’t for them, but but older kids like perching on the chairs, and we’ve eaten there with a pram no problem. (Even better, take yourselves off for date night.) 428 River Valley road, #01-01, Singapore www.facebook.com/cibosg
4. If you love the soft, pillowy sourdough bread at Baker & Cook, you’re going to go cray cray for the pizza at sister restaurant Plank Sourdough Pizza. Add a wood oven and fresh, authentic Italian ingredients to the mix and you’ve got the recipe for a cracking meal out with your crew. 1 Swan Lake Avenue, East Coast, Singapore 455700; www.plankpizza.biz
5. Re-laaax with sand between your toes and drink-in-hand while your kids play on the equipment at Trapizza. The cute pig-shaped pizza is irresistible to little people as is the roll-your-own dough station. Perfecto! 10 Siloso Walk, Singapore, 099538; www.shangri-la.com
6. Pepperoni Pizzeria has a rep with the kids for good reason – its bistros are designed with small humans in mind and it consistently plates up tasty pizza. Kids set meal for $14 including pizza, drink and gelato you say? We’re there! Locations island-wide; www.peperoni.com.sg
7. If it’s a home delivery kind of night (or day) do yourself a favour and order in from Alt. Pizza. For the adults go for the Hangover (with tomato base, mozzarella, pepperoni, fennel sausage and parmesan) and let the kids design their own dream pizza!
Suntec, Katong and Robertson Quay, p. 6836 9207; www.altpizza.com.sg