Because the kids need to know the exact SECOND that Santa launches his sleigh to head to Singapore...
Hands up all those with kids busting with excitement now that the official countdown to Christmas has begun? We’ve appeased them slightly with a meet and greet Santa session, distracted them by throwing a million decorations at the Christmas tree, and we’ve also promised an afternoon of watching some seriously cheesy Christmas blockbusters (because we all know it isn’t Xmas at all until we’ve watched Home Alone). But if the kids are still driving you crazy with their unrelenting “When is it Xmas?” interrogations, we’ve come to your rescue with eight festive kid-friendly apps and websites to distract them for a moment or two… throw in some Christmas craft and the odd mince pie and it will be Boxing Day before you know it.
1. The Portable North Pole (PNP) will deliver a sleigh-load of festive cheer and have everyone in the family believing in the magic with its personalised videos and telephone calls from Santa’s Village.
2. Get set for belly laughs galore with the Elf Yourself app when the kiddos realise they can turn Mum and Dad into all-singing, all-dancing elves!
3. The Christmas letter from Santa is compulsory: get an instant message from the jolly man in red to keep the little ones busy (read: out of your hair) with games and online colouring at A Letter 4 Santa.
4. Your excited little elves will love keeping tabs on Santa and his Xmas Eve mission via the Norad Santa live webcam. Expect the anticipation to reach combustion levels when the sleigh launches…
5. Not only can you join the most exciting countdown of the year with the Google Santa Tracker, but the kids will have a ton of fun checking out the games and taking cool Santa selfies too.
6. Dr. Seuss’s classic Christmas tale, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, is brought to life as an interactive e-book app along with cool Yule activities for small bookworms. That green old grouch might be full of ‘bah humbug’ but he definitely gets us – and the little ones – into a festive mood.
7. Kids giving you grief? An incoming face-to-face call from Father Christmas should sort them right out thanks to the Video Call Santa Christmas app.
8. Santa’s Home is a simple but oh-so-cute app that lets kids watch Santa going about his daily business at his home.
Now go forth and get jolly!