Bangkok has always been a super cool destination for a few days of adventure with the kiddos in tow, but the fun factor just ramped up a notch or two thanks to a brand new indoor theme park. Line Village Bangkok recently opened its doors on a visually stunning world of all things Line (a communication app full of adorable characters for the uninitiated), and we recently went over to check it out on your behalf…
How to get there
We already know that Changi Airport is one of the easiest airports in the world, and with so many direct flights between Singapore and Bangkok happening on a daily basis, you’ll be door-to-door in just a matter of hours.
Where to stay
We may have found our favourite hotel in Bangkok for a family stay yet! With a location just a short stroll from Siam Square, MBK Centre, Jim Thompson’s House and the Skytrain, the Siam@Siam Design Hotel is spot on in so many ways. Let’s take a moment to talk about the small but perfect infinity pool, beautifully designed rooms (we love the nod incorporated in the decor to industrial roots), spacious family suites, a sky bar to rival any other in Bangkok and a top notch breakfast. Because we know how hotel stays can be won or lost when it comes to a breakfast buffet. Taan Hyperlocal Thai Cuisine restaurant is due to open shortly, but we were lucky to get a sneak peek (and taste) of the extraordinarily good menu. Innovative Thai dishes feature the freshest, local ingredients, and we love how the menu tells you to the nearest kilometre where your food came from! We can also highly recommend a lemongrass cocktail (or three) prepared by the cooler-than-cool in-house mixologist. This hotel really did tick all of the boxes for a luxe stay at affordable prices.
Line Village Bangkok
We’ll be honest, we didn’t know a whole heap about Line and its characters before we arrived at Bangkok’s newest theme park, but now we’re firm friends with Cony, Sally, Choco, Moon, James and Boss! In the world’s first Line Friends indoor attraction, the young and old alike will have hours of fun interacting with characters and checking out 20 fun-packed experiences that include a VR rollercoaster, an infinity room filled with white bears (hot tip: take a selfie in this room, the light does wonderful things to tired mum faces) and a dazzle corridor. Can we please get a dazzle corridor in our own home? Got an Instagrammer in the family? This place is photo-taking heaven! Make sure you have plenty of memory on your camera as you will definitely be snap-happy the whole way round.
The Line Village Bangkok lowdown
Enter a mystical realm of Line fun in a 1500sqm collaboration with tech-giant, Samsung Electronics. That LED corridor, the ice cave and the VR experiences? Yep: all Samsung. We hung out (as you do) with Line Village Bangkok CEO, Mr Rupop Shinawatra, who told us “We are very excited that Thailand is the first country to open a Line Village, and as Bangkok is a top global travel destination, we’re confident it will attract and excite Line fans from around the world.” We’re think he’s right. Here’s the lowdown on just some of what you can expect when you enter the magical world of Line Village Bangkok:
- Mystique Library: Find the secret key in Brown’s Mystique Library to find your way into the village.
- Intro Theatre: Step into a darkened room to continue into the next zone. The Line friends will try and trick you so have your wits about you!
- The Garden: Hang out with Jessica and Leonard at an ice cream shop or try out the VR goggles to interact with the characters. Make sure someone films you stumbling around looking ‘cool’ in your goggs!
- Cony’s House: Oh goodness this is a room for new #kitchengoals! We loved the interactive recipe making games, and the props that smelled just like the real thing. Toddlers WILL try to eat the fake food so keep an eye on them.
- Moon’s Rooftop: Perfect for wannabe astronauts! Look up, people!
- Festival Square: Make your own short vid complete with bunny ears or other fun accessories – all virtual, of course – and then get the end result emailed to you.
- Boss’s Office: We think dads will especially like this room and the photo opps involved…
- Choco’s House: Join Choco the fashionista in her gorgeously pink suite and try out the vast array of beauty goodies on her dressing table.
- The Infinity: The place where, as mentioned already, you’re going to look good, mum, no matter how tired you’re feeling. The light in this room should be bottled and sold. Also the infinite white bears are off-the-scale adorable.
- The Finale: Say goodbye to Brown, Cony, Moon, Pangyo et al in the digital frames that interact with passers by.
Don’t forget to pop into the gift shop before you leave. Even if you weren’t a fan before you arrived, you will be when you’re done with your gazillion photos. And you know what that means, right? You’re going to need some Line Village Bangkok merch.
Line Village Bangkok, Siam Square One (SQ1), Building 388 Rama 1 Road Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand.
Open daily 10am-10pm (number of people allowed in at one time is limited so each and every person gets the full fun experience, so may be wise to book ahead). Tickets cost 990THB per adult, 790THB per senior (65 years and over), 790THB per child (between height of 90cm to 140cm). Free for children below 90cm.
Top image: Photography by Tracy Tristram
Like this story? Here’s more we think you’ll enjoy: