Can you locate your nearest 24 hour clinic, after hours family doctor or GP? Keep a list of these after hours and 24 hour clinics with GP doctors handy!
On my very first Mother’s Day in Singapore, I ended up waiting five hours in a children’s emergency ward with my one year old son. We weren’t in an emergency situation, my son had nicked the tip of his finger on a shard of broken glass, but there was a lot of blood. We’re talking crime scene amounts of blood, and the bleeding wouldn’t stop. I panicked. I was home alone, my husband overseas, my helper away, and my support group of mums all out to Mother’s Day lunch. I had no idea where to go in what felt like an urgent, but not an emergency situation, so we ended up spending the whole day in the emergency ward. You don’t need to go to a hospital emergency ward (ER) in situations that are not an emergency. Save time and make room for those in real emergencies when you chose a 24 hour clinic or after hours doctor instead. Learn from my mistakes (there are many).
Here’s what you need to know
- Babies and toddlers bleed a lot, especially from the head and the hands, even from the smallest nick or cut.
- You’ll need the baby’s passport, birth certificate or ID, and a credit card when you get to the hospital or clinic.
- When you panic, you can’t think straight. Have an action plan on the fridge.
- KKH is the largest women and children’s hospital on the island, their emergency service is excellent, but the average wait stated is *four hours*, even longer if you’re triaged and your case isn’t as urgent as others. Know your alternatives.
Thompson Medical Centre (as well as emergency, there’s a 24-hour family clinic)
339 Thomson Road,
Tel: 6250 2222
Central Clinic and Surgery (Hougang)
Block 681 Hougang Avenue 8, #01-831
Lifelink 24hrs Clinic and Surgery
Block 153 Serangoon North Avenue 1, #01-534
Silver Cross Family Clinic (Serangoon)
Block 262 Serangoon Central Drive, #01-109
Central Clinic and Surgery (Yishun)
Block 701A Yishun Avenue 5, #01-04
CCK 24-hr Family Clinic
Block 304 Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4, #01-653
Prohealth 24-Hour Medical Clinic
Block 259 Bukit Panjang Ring Road, #01-18
Central Clinic and Surgery (Clementi)
Block 450 Clementi Avenue 3, #01-291
Shenton Family Medical Clinic (Bukit Gombak)
Block 372 Bukit Batok Street 31, #01-378
NOT 24 HOURS
Mon to Fri 7:00am to 8:30pm, Sat 7:00am to 11:30am, Sun 8:00am to 3:00pm
Public Holidays 9:00am to 9:00pm
Central Clinic and Surgery (Bedok)
Block 219 Bedok Central, #01-124
Lifelink Clinic and Surgery
Block 446 Pasir Ris Drive 6, #01-120
NOT 24 HOURS
Daily 8am-12am (midnight)
Mediline Wei Min Clinic
Block 81 Marine Parade Central, #01-634
NOT 24 HOURS
Daily 7am-12am (midnight), closed for lunch 2-3pm
Tampines 24-Hr Family Clinic
Block 201D Tampines Street 21, #01-1151
YSL Bedok Clinic and Surgery Pte Ltd
Block 539 Bedok North Street 3, #01-631
NOT 24 HOURS
Raffles Medical Airport 24-hr Clinic
65 Airport Boulevard, Changi Airport Terminal 3, #B2-MS-15
Here’s what I learnt
- When babies bleed, you cannot think straight. You need an action plan.
- Find a local doctor who’s open on a Sunday and write their details on the plan.
- Thompson Medical Centre is a centrally located hospital with a 24 hour family service for things that are urgent but not an emergency and will generally attend to you within an hour. Write it on your plan!
- Doing a first aid course that covers minor injuries, not just life threatening situations is a good idea.
- Having a well organised first aid box is critical when you can’t think straight.
- You’ll need your child’s passport and or birth certificate with you – know where they are at all times.
- Discuss your plan with your helper, and prepare a secure pack for them with a photocopy of your passports and credit card details plus some taxi money.
Note: In an emergency situation, go to your nearest hospital, or call an ambulance on (+65) 995.