Stumped for birthday cake ideas this year? Easy doesn’t have to mean boring! Let our tutorial for how to make mini party hats for your kids’ toys blow. Your. Mind.
The best thing about planning kids’ birthdays is (**spoiler alert!**) that it only happens once a year. Which means it’s only once every 12 months that you’ll be sent into a total tailspin about what homemade or store-bought cake to wow your little one with. But throw another kid or kids into the mix and you’ve got several full-blown meltdowns happening throughout the year, especially if you need a cake at the last-minute – eek! Then you need to think about cake toppers… But here’s one super-easy crafting solution. Take one simple cake, round up some of those plastic animals you’ve no doubt got lying around your home (and nearly broken your neck on… how many times have we told them?!) and make some mini party hats! Et voila: a cute birthday cake topper with minimum fuss and skill involved. Because, seriously, who doesn’t love a pompom?
How to make mini party hats for your cake toppers
- Coloured or patterned paper
- Craft glue
- Mini pompoms
- Plastic animals
- A cake (either rustle up something simple yourself or buy from a store)
Here’s how it works
- Cut out a small triangle with a rounded base from your coloured paper (tip: use the corner to make it extra easy).
- Gently roll it into a cone shape.
- Using some craft glue, secure the cone in place.
- Trim the cone if needed, then snip the pointed top off. Add a small dollop of glue on a pompom and gently fix to the top of the hat.
- Leave to dry.
- Grab your plastic animals, stick a mini party hat on them (you can tape them on if you need some extra security), sit them on your cake and get ready to party! A birthday cake topper that was simple and speedy to make, right?
Not a baker or seen an amazing birthday cake you want to buy instead? No worries! These VIP critters also make super-cute table decorations or add some pizzazz to your children’s bookshelves!
Now go forth and pimp up your birthday cake toppers, people!