While the kiddos may love getting a bag full of lollies, mountains of plastic junk and a ton of small choking hazards in a traditional party bag, for us grown-ups the party favour has become a veritable parenting minefield. We say it’s time to ditch the sweets and tat, and instead shake up your party game by going DIY with favours that pack a party punch. We’ve found six party favours suitable for every kind of bash from toddler tea parties to parties for teenagers…
1. Remember the good old days when a party favour meant helping your mate hang up a homemade banner? We say go retro with a stash of goodies including pick-up sticks, slinkies and scented erasers. Head over to Cotton On Kids and SKP where we bagged the cute and colourful stash pictured above, or try Daiso for cheap as chips loot and party supplies.
2. End your perfect party on a sweet note with a mason jar filled with take-home cookie mix and a recipe. Head over to Delicious by Dre for the DIY instructions.
3. Ever on the lookout for sustainable art ‘n’ craft fun, we’re totally digging these pops of colour in the form or recycled crayons. Use easy peasy instructions by PBS and then bag them up as a lovely party favour for kids of all ages.
4. Glitter and slime all in one cool hit? Kiddos will love The 36th Avenue’s spiffy jars filled with glitter slime: for extra brownie points set up a making station at the party and each child can get crafty by making their own.
5. As a small island surrounded by beaches, we know that party favour buckets will be a surefire hit with small nippers. Pick up some inspo on how to design them and what to put inside at Crafty Lady Lindsay.
6. If you’re looking for a party favour that isn’t going to cause cavities, check out these snazzy sidewalk chalks wrapped in wax paper by Mighty Girl. Not only do the chalks look good enough to eat, but they’re such a cinch to create that even the youngest in the fambam can help with the making.
Photography: Selina Altomonte (top image), Delicious by Dre, PBS, The 36th Avenue, Crafty Lady Lindsay and Mighty Girl
Like this story? Here’s more we think you’ll enjoy!