We’ve learned a few things now about feeding our children: teaching kids how to cook is so important; colourful dishes are a great way to getting kids to enjoy family food; it pays to have a menu plan to make supermarket shopping in Singapore a little less painful. And finally, you need some great go-tos for recipe inspiration. One of our faves? Foodie mum Terri-Anne Leske, whose blog Carrotsticks and Cravings – and recipe books Carrotsticks and Cravings: My Creative Kitchen and Carrotsticks and Cravings: Family Favourites – are all about making healthy food and snacks fun for the whole family.
We’re big fans of her bright, colourful dishes, so here’s a heads up anyone looking to spice up the family menu with some delicious vegetarian meals. Terri-Anne’s new book, Green Week, is packed with nutritious, delish vegetarian recipes. If you’ve been thinking of introducing more plant-based foods to your diet and the benefits of a more meat-free lifestyle (did somebody say Meat-free Monday?), Green Week is full of inspiration – and you’re invited to the book’s launch!
Come along to the Carrotsticks and Cravings Green Week cookbook launch and health and wellness market on 14 June, from 9.30-12.30 at Hollandse Club (22 Camden Park, Singapore 299814). It’s going to be a morning of shopping, food sampling and free talks! Plus there will be over $1000 in prize draws and epic goodie bags for the first 40 guests!
Everyone is welcome – there’s no need to rsvp. Check out our full list of vendors at the market at the end of this story, and remember the free talks kick off at 10.30 from three great speakers:
- Terri-Anne Leske, Creator of Carrotsticks & Cravings about why she wrote her third cookbook Green Week, which is all about keeping the body and mind healthy!
- Nutritionist Liza Rowan of Health & Vitality on the benefits of adding more plant based foods to your diet, building immunity and preventing illnesses. Learn how to understand and decipher nutrition labels and ingredients!
- Amanda Clements of Momentum Bootcamps on the benefits of exercise for your mind and body.
Pssst: Jaxs Bistro at Hollandse Club is right next door to the event and a great place for lunch too!
In the meantime, get a little inspiration with these great recipe from Green Week:
AVOCADO SMOOTHIE BOWL
(Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free)
1 avocado or 1 frozen banana, OR ½ frozen banana ½ avocado
1 cup frozen berries
A handful of berries
Chopped raw almonds
Melted natural peanut butter or almond butter
1. Blitz smoothie base in a blender until creamy
2. Pour into a bowl and top with whatever toppings you like!
MEXICAN BEAN QUINOA (pictured top)
(Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free)
¼ cup red quinoa
¼ cup white quinoa
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 red chillis
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 corn cobs – kernals removed
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1 cup black beans – washed and drained
1 cup chickpeas – washed and drained2 cups baby spinach
1 cup cherry tomatoes
Juice 2 limes
Zest of one lime
Sea salt and cracked pepper
3 tbsp coriander or flat leaf parsley
1. Place quinoa in a medium saucepan with 1/2 cup of water or stock, bring to the boil, reduce to low heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add more water if needed. Fluff with a fork and leave covered to cool.
2. Dice red onion, bell peppers and chilli and sauté in a pan with olive oil, garlic, corn kernels and spices until corn is golden and starting to brown.
3. Mix black beans, chickpeas, chopped spinach and halved cherry tomatoes in with quinoa.
4. Add lime juice, zest, salt, pepper and chopped coriander to the quinoa. Once slightly cooled add the corn mixture and mix through.
5. Top with sliced avocado and extra chilli and lime.
Inspired? See you at the Green Week launch and Health and Wellness market, and look out for these great vendors:
My Maha; Everyday Style SG; Indi Nyah; Agora Products; NZ Fulvic; Alpha Balance; Bowerbird; Momentum Bootcamps; Health & Vitality; Inzone 5; Love Style Fashion; Little Farms; Hollandse Club; Advanced Pain Centres; The Whole Kitchen; Pure Nutrition; Selva; Gifts Less Ordinary; Tripod Coffee; Littleones Photography; Cocowhip; Punch Detox; The Body Temple