Oh boy have we been putting the junior HoneyKids team through their paces this week: we’ve whisked them off for a pre-Xmas easy getaway, kept them busy with one of the hottest new toys in town, and had them officially deemed ‘nice’ with a meet-and-greet with Santa. Yep: if it’s hot this week then our kids totally know about it…
1. Having aced so many of the great Xmas markets already, we thought it time to ramp up the festive shopping with a sneaky little getaway to one of our favourite bustling Asian cities: Ho Chi Minh! Our full review is coming up soon, but in the meantime, if you have a few days to spare during the Christmas holidays, pack a bag and head to this destination packed with fun, charm, history and a whole lot of adventure. And bikes. Many, many bikes.
2. Oh yes, we did bring Santa back to Singapore along with our friends at Tanglin Mall. The sleigh-load of festivities kicked off this weekend and will be running throughout December on weekends right up until the 23rd. Craft, storytelling, treats, elves and of course the jolly man himself are just a snippet of the fun happening as part of The Tanglin Mall Santa Workshop: check out all the deets before heading over!
3. What better way to catch ALL the Christmas lights around town than to hop on an open top bus? All aboard the HiPPO bus for the Christmas Orchard Light-Up Tour. The tour departs nightly from Suntec City, or you can arrange your own charter to suit (we started and ended our trip at Roberston Quay). We took our resident two-and-a-half year old along, and she was so wowed, she thinks THAT was Christmas Day. If you go with the charter option, see if you can convince Santa to make a special guest appearance (the ‘magic’ is easy for a dad to manage on a double-decker bus!).
4. With all this rain continuing to make us feel damp and in need of something warm to cheer the day, we’ve got just the thing: the new brunch menu at one of our favourite restaurants in the HoneyKids’ HQ area, Urban Bites, will soon heat up your toes and have the gang feeling full to the brim with the best Lebanese food outside of Lebanon. Make sure you try the Eggs With Lamb Shakshouka and Cheese Manouche: heaven on a plate! Call ahead to book if you need a highchair as it gets busy!
5. When our kids were offered a trial of the new hot toy of the moment, LEGO Boost, they jumped at the chance quicker than you can say “Master Builder”. Aimed at kids aged seven and above, this cool robot kit is not just about teaching children patience and dedication (it takes a fair while to complete) but is also an interactive coding and programming experience. We’ll be honest: the kids found it easier to fathom than us grown-ups.
Like this story? Here’s more we think you’ll enjoy:
Bake up a festive storm with these fun Xmas snacks
The pre-Xmas blockbuster movies we can’t wait to catch
Bring on the festive buffets for Christmas in Singapore
Counting down to Christmas Day with kid-friendly apps